Friday, January 18, 2013

Blog Post #1

About Me
My name is Hannah Dickerson. I am twenty two years old and I am from a small town outside of Mobile called Saraland, Alabama. I am a junior at the University of South Alabama and my major is secondary education concentrating in mathematics. I plan to teach high school students one day and I can't wait! I am inspired to teach math because it is so challenging. I never get bored with math as I do with history, or english. I have had a passion for this subject since I started middle school. When I began taking higher math courses, I knew then that I wanted to be a teacher and help the children not understanding the subject. I think I am very good at explaining and teaching others.

My family and I are very close. I have a little brother and he is eighteen years old. I am so proud of him because he will be graduating this year from high school. My dad is a police officer for The Saraland Police Department, and my mom stays at home. My grandmother and pawpaw are my heart. I look up to them so much. They are all very supportive in my decision to become a math teacher.

My Future Classroom
My future classroom is going to be very lively. When my students walk through the door they will be ready to learn. My classroom will be decorated with bulletin boards with information being learned in class. I will also post student work around my classroom, like projects and homework.

I will use technology in my classroom. Hopefully by the time I have my own classroom, most students will have their own Ipad, or tablet of some sort. I want to use these devices for hands on activities, and more ways of learning. There are many resources available on the internet to help assist in the learning process. I would be very grateful to have a smart board in my classroom. I could use the smart board during lecture and student activities. It would make lecture more interesting and students more eager to learn.

When I have obtained my masters in secondary education, I hope to teach seniors. I think teaching upperclassmen would be so much fun. Preparing those young adults for college, and watching them succeed would make my job worth while. I would do everything in my power to help them learn and teach themselves for college the next year.

I hope to one day teach Pre-Calculus. I find this subject very challenging and interesting. When I took Pre-Calculus as a senior I was prepared for college the very next year. When teaching this subject, I will be very organized with lesson plans and activities for my students. I can not wait to start my teaching career.

Randy Pausch Time Management
I do not know much about Dr. Pausch, but his ideas are very helpful. I like his idea of a to do list. A to do list could be very helpful. Mapping out what activities you have to complete during the week is a good idea. I am going to try it.

2 comments:

  1. You will watch Randy Pausch's Last Lecture later this semester. It is a powerful and moving video!

    Do e need math teachers!

    Well written. Welcome to EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hannah!

    I love that you are interested in teaching seniors Pre-Calculus. Math makes perfect sense because it is all proven. Your class will definitely make the transition into college smoother. However, I wish you could give English and History a chance. Just think of all the entertaining books!

    It is important that you have a strong support system and family to help you along the way. It shows that you have high family values.

    We can only hope that everyone will be fortunate enough to have personal tablets. When I took Calculus in college, I disliked that my homework was due online. I took notes in pencil, took the exam in pencil, and I wanted my professor to check my homework to provide appropriate feedback. Personally, that is how I learn effectively.

    How do you plan to utilize technological tools to teach math?

    This is a great blog! I look forward to hearing more about you.

    Wannetta Fincher









    ReplyDelete