Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blog Post #10

I'm a Papermate, I'm a Ticonderoga

In John T. Spencer's cartoon I'm a Papermate, I'm a Ticonderoga, I am a little confused as to what he is trying to state. I think he is trying to say that pencil and paper cost less but are not as affective, and that technology is very useful but expensive. The papermate looks like an old professor who uses pencil and paper only in his classroom. The Ticonderoga looks like a newly graduate coming to teach her class with technology and new ideas. Technology may be very expensive but I think it is the most useful thing to have.

Why Were Your Kids Playing Games

Mr. Spencer uses a very unique approach in his writing. In a lot of his post on his blog, his post are written in dialogue. They represent him and his students talking about learning and education. I read a bunch of his post. Two of them stood out and really got my attention. The first on was Why Were Your Kids Playing Games? This post was about Mr. Spencer and his boss talking about him teaching his students with a game. His boss thought it was uncalled for to teach with games. I think that is a very good way to introduce a lesson, or make a point more clear. Some students need to see things hands on.

The next post I read from Mr. Spencer's blog was Remember Pencil Quests?. This post was a conversation between Mr. Spencer and a student. They were talking about a scavenger hunt, and moving text books. I like the thought of a moving text book. A moving text book is not just looking straight at the text, it's adding more eventful things with it.

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff, Please?

In Scott Mcleod's Blog Post, he approaches blogging, twiiter, social networking, and other things associated with technology as the most awful things ever. In the end of his post, he says how he is using all of these things and he thinks everyone should. I am so with Mr. Mcleod on this. Not everything on the internet is bad, and not everything with social networking is bad either. Both can have its advantages and disadvantages. Kids will be kids on the internet. If they are monitored correctly nothing will happen. My students will use blogging, social media, and other aspects of todays society.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah,
    I also was confused about what the cartoon was trying to say. I stared at the cartoon for what seemed like an eternity trying to figure out the point it was trying to make. I came up with the same conclusion. I think it is trying to say that while it may be more expensive now, technology will be more beneficial in the long run. I read both of the posts that you did on Mr. Spencer's blog. I noticed the same thing about his blog posts which was that many of them were written in a dialogue format. I also agree with your comments on Scott McLeod's blog post. The internet can be used inappropriately. However, that does not mean that we should ban our kids from using technology. Instead, kids should be monitored and taught how to appropriately use the internet. I enjoyed reading your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first part of the assignment was to explain the cartoon. Papermate is a metaphor for a PV. Ticonderoga is a metaphor for a Mac. The cartoon characters resemble the stars of the long series (66 over 4 years) of Apple ads starring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac.

    You missed the metaphor in the cartoon.

    The first part of the assignment was to explain the cartoon. Papermate is a metaphor for a PV. Ticonderoga is a metaphor for a Mac. The cartoon characters resemble the stars of the long series (66 over 4 years) of Apple ads starring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac.

    You missed the metaphor in the cartoon.

    You missed the message of Mr. Spencer's post in which the principal wants him to practice "drill and memorize" activities instead of projects or other learning approaches. All to pass the tests.

    Metaphors threw you for a loop. You got the satire in Dr. McLeod's post.

    ReplyDelete